• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google +

Dealing with mold

Dealing with mold - Willi Johnson

I am astonished by people’s ignorance or negligence, when it comes to dealing with mold. I find it surprising that there are still a lot of folks who do not take seriously the mold exposure.

My wife, she’s a nurse and she tells me that most of the patients that she meets at her workplace are unaware of the harmful effects of mold. They are surprised to hear or discover that their allergies are not due to dust, or pollen (we all know there is no pollen during the cold months), but mold.

According to her, not a lot of them are able to recognize that mold allergy symptoms include, runny nose, wheezing, watery eyes, coughing, redness of the eyes.

Apparently only those who experience some of these symptoms in combination with itchy eyes and a rash assumed that it may be due to another allergen. The rest were convinced that they were having a mild cold.

The surprise gets even bigger when some of the patients prefer to ingest antihistamines in order to cope with their indoors allergens, instead of dealing with the root of the problem. Most of them would complain that mold removal Montreal is costly, or that it is a lengthy process, which I agree.

I am also aware that some people live in a mold contaminated house for months and months and not have any health issues.  On the other hand I have known people that once they step foot into the home, they have breathing difficulties. It depends on how strong their immune systems are.

Recently I heard a story of a person who believed that mold removal was as simple as spraying some bleach on the walls and a little elbow grease to remove the visual mold. Let me tell you that does nothing. It barely scratches the tip of the iceberg. If you have mold on any interior wall, you have no idea what is on the other side, until you rip into it.

I am not talking about a little bit of mold under a leaky sink. That can be fixed with Clorox and forget all about it. This person discovered he had mold hidden under the wallpaper. It was not visible to the naked it because there was no mold on the facing of the paper. He discovered the whole thing when his toddler ripped of some of the wallpaper during a tantrum.

The poor guy thought that washing the wall with bleach was enough to get rid of mold. What he needed to do was to hire a contractor to strip the wall to studs and redo it.

 

The author:

author